Going to the gym should be fun! To liven things up a bit, try a few of these mind games and enjoy the confusion of everyone around you. It's just like facing the wrong way in an elevator and looking at the other people instead of the ceiling or wall.
1. Fill an old vodka bottle with water and use it during a workout. People will wonder if that's "your secret weapon" to great results!
2. Wear a helmet. I think you'll find that people will give you a lot more room when you're lifting when you walk in with head protection (especially when you do overhead exercises!).
3. Pick up the 2-pound nose-itcher dumbells and proceed to lift them like you're doing the hardest set in your life. Scream and strain like you're pushing it to the limit. The larger you are, the more effective this one will be.
4. Load a tremendous amount of weight onto the bench press bar, e.g. 500 to 600 pounds. Make a big production with your preparation, lie back on the bench, then, just as you are about to lift the bar off the rack, your watch alarm (previously set by you, of course) should go off. Look at your watch, shake your head, unload the bar then move onto your next exercise. The smaller you are, the more effective this one will be!
5. Wear an electric ab-training belt with an extension cord duct-taped to it. Plug yourself in just before each set.
6. Have your workout partner bring an old remote control from home. When he presses a button, do a rep. When hits "fast forward" go faster. When he hits "pause" hold the weight where it is. Just make sure he doesn't hit the "eject" button, especially after a hard set!
7. Count your reps out loud starting from 100, e.g. your first rep, say "101", then "102", etc.
8. Bring a suitcase to the gym instead of a sports bag. The little rolling ones with the pop-up handles are good. Also, a really huge one that you can fit a person comfortably in will work.
9. Do incorrect exercises on machines. For example, Do Triceps Extensions on the Leg Press Machine.
10. Men, wear daisy duke short shorts and walk around asking other guys if you can help "spot" them on the bench press.
BONUSES:- Before aerobics class, take all the mats and build a fort with them. "Place a sign on one of the mats that says, "NO GIRLS ALLOWED!"
Take a yoga mat and use it as a flotation device in the swimming pool. Float around the pool with your shades on sipping a pina colada.
For William Hale's Personal Training & Nutritional services, please send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org